One of my favorite Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
I LOVED this black eyed pea soup slow cooker recipe.
For winter solstice gift giving this year (I’m Buddhist after all), my mom gave me a shipment of sausages from Omaha Steak Company. Let me tell you, they were all awesome. Her intention was for them to be used on my grill, but it’s January, so that wasn’t happening. So I had to come up with other uses for them. I decided to go all southern on myself and whipped up this black eyed pea soup.
This soup is amazing. Slow cooking the bratwurst for 6 hours fills it with flavor. It’s a spicy soup, with both cayenne and jalapeno, but it’s a good warming kind of spicy. It’s not overdone or harsh on the mouth.
Slow Cooker Soup with Black Eyed Peas and Bratwurst
- 6 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted
- and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, and diced
- 1 jalapeño chile, minced
- 4 bratwurst, cut into smaller bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbps Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Bragg Sea Kelp Delight seasoning
- Boil the water. Dissolve the bullion cube in the boiling water. Remove from heat.
- Pour the newly made stock into the slow cooker.
- Combine the black-eyed peas, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, bratwurst, cayenne pepper, cumin, liquid aminos, pepper and sea kelp delight. Stir to blend.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to Low for 6 hours then to Warm.
- Go to work, come home. Eat awesome food!