Mexican Soup #1 (I plan on trying others!)
So this recipe is the one I was intending to make when I wound up with the Accidental Chili. You’ll see the ingredients are almost identical, except I had enough pinto beans! Also, when I went shopping I couldn’t find any fresh banana peppers so I went for the canned chili peppers. It’s an interesting combination of a crock pot recipe with regular cooking technique.
This Mexican soup es muy delicioso. It has a nice amount of spice and tastes incredibly fresh. The green chilis and green bell pepper give it a really nice little bite. The difference from the Accidental Chili is the shorter cooking time, plus the heavy immersion of the cumin on the fresh vegetables, which really gives this dish pop.
Mexican Soup Recipe – a delicious vegetarian soup
13 cups water
3 vegetarian bullion cubes
1 (29 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 (4 oz) cans chopped chili peppers, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cups frozen sweet corn
2 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed
4 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
3 tbs olive oil
- Place beans, 6 cups of water, the cayenne and 1 tbsp of the cumin into the slow cooker.
- Set to low and cook for 5 hours.
- When done, set aside.
- Boil 7 cups of water. Add the bullion and stir well until completely dissolved. Set aside
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the bell peppers, onion, garlic and 3 tbsp of cumin and saute for 5 minutes. Don't over saute, keep the vegetables crisp.
- Mix in the tomatoes and chili peppers until the mixture is lightly bubbling.
- Mix in the prepared pinto beans and simmer until the mixture is lightly bubbling again.
- Pour in the broth and add the corn. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.