A great, basic Vegetarian Crock Pot recipe.
This vegetarian Crock Pot recipe is good putting together on a weekend (or whatever day you have off). To help keep the vegetables as fresh and crisp as possible, I like to get the beans mostly cooked before putting the vegetables into the crock pot. This is especially true of the kale. If you slow cook kale for too long, you wind up with green mush. Not awesome!
This recipe makes an incredibly flavorful and very fresh tasting dish.
Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipe: Veggies and Beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 cup dry adzuke beans, rinsed
- 2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 dry pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green kale, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Soak the beans for 2 hours then drain.
- Place the beans, water, cumin and cayenne into the slow cooker, cover and set to Low
- Cook the beans for 4 hours then add the tomatoes, carrots, onion, corn and bell pepper.
- Cover for another hour, then add the kale.
- Cook for an additional hour and you're done!